Pages

Welcome to my head!

This is where I store the "extra" stuff in my head.

Monday, May 3, 2010

I can't believe I let my kids do that!

Yesterday evening, my kids experienced another first...I let them walk to the convienence store by our house WITHOUT me!  If you know me, I know you are shocked.  I am overprotective and will not apologize for that.  This is a crazy world and I want my children to be safe.  They aren't allowed to play in the street, put plastic bags over their heads or dry their hair while standing in the shower.  I watch where they are surfing on the internet.  I don't allow them to watch rated R movies and I don't approve of rap music. Yes, I DO allow them out of the house!  Michaela, 15,  babysits and Jacob, 11 in June,  plays golf and baseball.  They both go to different summer camps and activities and neither of their parents are there. I let them go to public school AND ride the school bus.  And occasionally, I let them shop on a different aisle from me in a store.  If it's a SMALL store. A VERY SMALL store.   But I have NEVER let them walk to a store and cross a busy road without me holding onto their hands!
When I suggested they do it, (yes, it was even MY idea!!)  they thought I had lost my mind.  They were freaked out and wondering where their real mother was.  I ran through different scenarios, the "what would you do" things that I've been preaching to them since they were in the womb.  I told them to stay together and to watch the cars and to keep that cell phone in their hands. I hugged them and told them I loved them.  And I let them walk out the door. Without me.  My heart was racing and I couldn't breathe. I thought I was going to throw up or faint. So I prayed for their saftey and did the only thing I could think to do....I called my mommy!!!! 
My kids made it home alive and when they walked in the door, they were beaming.  They admitted to me that yes, they were nervous, but that they had prayed before they left.  I could tell that giving them that tiny bit of freedom and independance was a GOOD thing and they proved to me that they HAVE been listening to my "lectures".  Jake sat down, looked at me and said "Now you can trust us."  Yeah, I think I can. But let's take this independance thing in baby steps please!!!!  Today it's a walk to the store...tomorrow...DRIVERS ED.  Good thing I have free long distance calling to my mommy!

Carpe' diem

No comments:

Post a Comment